WELCOME TO OUR WORLD

Short Story

Follow us on our journey of writing and programming a unique EQ (Emotional Intelligence)-based visual novel like nothing seen before. ◕ ‿-。

Song Credits: Howl's Moving Castle Main Theme, Joe Hisaishi

Skills

Claire is heading storyline and character development, sprite and background composition, and overall game programming. Meanwhile, Shahnoor is taking on storyline and character development, EQ (Emotional Intelligence) research, manual creation, and audio direction.

MORALE

90%

EFFORT

110%

PROGRESS

15%

BLOG

Check in every week to stay in touch with our progress!

...

✓ Conducting EQ Research Interviews - Shahnoor

The blissful aroma of fresh roasted coffee beans fills my senses as I drain my cup of Philz iced latte, reaching for the last drops of caffeine to hype me up for story planning. Claire and I have been meeting at Philz Coffee every week to work on our project, where the drinks are heavenly and our brains can get a boost of never-ending energy. And trust me, we need the boost! So much complexity hides under the shadows of our wonderful characters as we weave together different plot scenarios and motives. It's easy to get lost in the fictional world we're creating.

Oh, but how rude of me! I'm Shahnoor Jafri, the amazing EQ researcher Claire has been talking about :) Continuing with our story, we're hauling butt to add depth to our characters by exploring their pasts, understanding their motives, and taking personality tests in order to determine who they are! We're pretty hardcore. But we want to make our characters as realistic as possible and that requires a lot of imagination and reflection on real-life people and scenarios! Currently, we're struggling with the middle of our visual story because there are endless possibilities of where our main character, Fey, can go. I can't go into too much detail (or else I'll give our story away), but I can tell you that we've officially established our main characters: Fey, Joel and Slater. Claire, the Van Gogh of character design, just finalized the first stage of faces for all three--though for all we know, we might switch up their appearances when we get deeper into the game-making process.

I created a Twitter account at the beginning of this project, and Claire made a Tumblr account, too. We'll eventually be using those for publicity, but before we post the links to those accounts on here, we wanted to get further into the process (there isn't much to publicize if we haven't completed the first chapter of our visual novel yet!). Overall, Claire and I LOVE our jobs. Our imaginations reach no boundaries as we constantly come up with extravagant ideas, wondering if we should include a nerdy freshman or choose to integrate alien-like aspects into our reality.

But as the story gets more twisty and turny, the more conflicting the psyches of the characters get. I've been doing a lot of research on identifying emotional intelligence. The only problem is how we can measure it in our game. Are there points (a number score)? Are there actually "right choices," or is that too ambiguous? These are the questions I'm faced with when I think of each character and his or her motives. (In case you need a refresher, our game--Sonder--will test your capabilities by presenting you with choices to select from. You'll be "graded" according to which options you choose.) Hopefully, after talking to some professionals and doing more research, I'll be more confident with the "psychological gaming" of our visual novel. Claire and I have scheduled an appointment with Jessica Wang and Erica Smith, two of  the CASSY (Counseling and Support Services for Youth) therapists at our school, for input. I'll be asking them a few questions about their expertise and experiences with dealing with the human mind. I will also make sure to include an outline of what I learn from them about measuring emotional intelligence in my final reports!

Until then,

- Shahnoor

1 comment :

  1. I commented on your last post, and if nothing, I'm going to be consistent, seeing as this project seems to draw my attention quite strongly. It's good to see that actual progress is being made. I was a part of a game design club last year, and though I had a ton of fun doing it, it never really got off the ground, so it's good to see that this seems to be able to do so. About your inquiry into how to measure the person's emotional intelligence. I think that having "right" and "wrong" answers would derail the point of a game that measures how adept one is at analyzing another person's feelings. Perhaps you could simply have it see how well you can analyze the person's emotions depending on the dialogue options you choose, and then have it deliver a certain ending and a general diagnostic of how the PLAYER sees things, and how emotionally intelligent they are. I guess what I'm trying to say is, make sure the game is able to continue onward even if the most emotionally inept person on the planet played it and chose all the low EQ choices. Completely aside from that, when do you think you'll be done with the base game?

    --Mukund

    ReplyDelete

WHAT THEY SAY

  • "To be born means being compelled to choose an era, a place, a life. To exist here, now, means to lose the possibility of being countless other potential selves... Yet once being born there is no turning back. And I think that's exactly why the fantasy worlds of cartoon movies so strongly represent our hopes and yearnings. They illustrate a world of lost possibilities for us."

    Hayao Miyazaki , Animator and Director
  • "Our minds are not interested in truth. They are our private twenty-four hour news cycle putting a constant spin on reality. It's like The Matrix. Everyone is getting plugged into the Bullshit Express."

    Shane Kuhn , Author of "The Intern's Handbook"

CONTACT US

Template By Templatium | Distributed By My Blogger Themes